The key to making the most of your WLAM membership is to get involved! A great way to do so is to join one of our WLAM committees; use the WLAM Committee Preference Form. For more information, please contact the Committee Chair of the Committee you are interested in joining. If a committee has yet to be assigned a chair, please contact the WLAM President, Donna MacKenzie.
Leadership Identification & Development/Nominations & Awards Committee
Chair (Immediate Past-President): Julie Gafkay
The chair of this committee works with state and regional leadership to identify and develop interested members for leadership positions within the Association. This committee handles the annual nomination of state officers and submits a proposed slate to the Board of Directors for approval. This committee also evaluates members and/or regions nominated for Association awards. To become a member of this committee, you must be appointed by your Region or the State President of the Association.
Regional Development Committee
Chair (Current President): Kelly Brushaber
This committee works with interested members to establish new regions and/or student chapters in the underrepresented areas of the State of Michigan. This committee also works with existing regions and/or student chapters to establish mentoring opportunities.
Annual Meeting Committee
Chair (Current President-Elect): Alena Clark
This committee plans and manages the annual statewide meeting (including the content of the meeting program, obtaining sponsors and speakers, securing a location, promoting the meeting in the media, onsite facilitation at the meeting, and subsequent evaluation follow-up).
Chair (Current Vice-President): Roquia Draper
This committee works together to encourage new membership and helps WLAM retain current members. Establishes and maintains the Member Services Program (MSP). The MSP maintains and evaluates existing membership services, and creates programs to promote membership retention and growth. Further, the MSP evaluates future potential member services and submits recommendations to the Board for implementation.
Chair (Current Treasurer): Ryan Kelly
The chair of the Finance Committee submits the annual budget for adoption. This committee works together with the Director to maintain Association finances (including preparation of monthly financial statements, consolidated quarterly reports, and the Association’s annual tax return). This committee also ensures accuracy and compliance with the Association’s financial policies and procedures. This committee generally consists of the State Treasurer and the treasurers of each active region and/or student chapter.
Technology & Communications Committee
Chair (Current Secretary): Erin Klug
The chair of this committee oversees the maintenance of the Association’s website and other media sources (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, listserv, etc.), the distribution of the Association’s quarterly electronic newsletter (e-Focus), and the distribution of referral emails to members. This committee works to ensure that the Association’s media sources are current and up to date with accurate leadership contact information, past event content displayed, and timely information is provided regarding upcoming events.
Bylaws, Policies & Procedures Committee
This committee reviews the Association’s bylaws, policies and procedures and makes recommendations for appropriate changes to the Board of Directors and the membership.
Legal Affairs, Legislative & CREC Committee
This committee performs the following activities:
- Legal Affairs/Amicus – Identifies cases in which the Association can participate as amicus curiae, brings such cases to the Board of the Association for consideration, and, when necessary, coordinates such participation. This committee also addresses any other response to existing law.
- Legislative – Reviews and recommends support or opposition to legislation of interest to the membership.
- CREC (Candidate Rating & Endorsement Committee) – Reviews, rates or endorses, and makes recommendations to the Board of Directors regarding candidates and/or potential appointees for judicial, quasi-judicial, and in some cases non-partisan appointive positions.
Program Committee (includes Career Development, Networking and Charitable Action)
This committee works at the state and regional level to perform the following activities:
- Career Development – Develops and establishes workshops and seminars that educate members regarding developing laws, technology and provides tools for career development.
- Networking – Develops and establishes networking activities at the regional and state level for Association members. This committee also coordinates networking activities with other organizations/associations.
- Charitable – Develops and establishes charitable activities at the regional and state level for Association members. This committee also coordinates charitable activities with other organizations/associations.
SPECIAL COMMITTEES (Ad Hoc)
Gender Equity Committee
Chair: Angela Walker
This committee develops programs and services to: (1) assist members in dealing with gender bias; (2) raise awareness among the bench, bar, law schools, law enforcement, state government and/or general public of the continuing problem of gender bias; and (3) attempt to reduce the frequency and severity of the incidents and effects of gender bias on individual lawyers and members of society.
5-Year Plan Committee
Chair: Julie Gafkay
This committee reviews the goals of the current year of the 5-year Plan and works with various committees and Association leaders to ensure annual goals are met. If necessary, this committee makes recommendations related to prioritization, implementation and/or timing of various 5-year Plan activities.
Association Website/Member Directory Committee
Domestic Violence Committee
This committee will work with the State Bar of Michigan as part of a taskforce to establish a domestic violence assistance program.