March 5, 2020
For Immediate Release:
Women Lawyers Association of Michigan to Celebrate 102nd Anniversary
The Women Lawyers Association of Michigan (WLAM) is proud to announce its upcoming 102nd Anniversary. WLAM will celebrate this historic milestone on April 17-18, 2020 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The theme of this year’s Annual Meeting is Lifting Women Up, recognizing the importance of mentoring and sponsoring women within leadership development. This theme follows up on last year’s phenomenal Annual Meeting program about shattering the glass ceiling. The next step after shattering the glass ceiling is reaching back and lifting other women up.
The conference will include:
- Philomena V. Mantella, President of GVSU as our Keynote Speaker;
- A prominent panel of members of the judiciary;
- An inspiring panel of bar and a representative from the Michigan House of Representatives;
- Legislative update by a member of Michigan State Senate, on what has changed in 2019 and what to look for in the year to come;
- Mentoring activities;
- The swearing in of the new board by Justice Megan Cavanaugh; and
- Awards that highlight prominent members of the organization that further its mission.
The event kicks off with a reception honoring the 2020 WLAM Foundation Scholarship Recipients. This reception will take place at Varnum on Friday, April 17, 2020 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The annual meeting will be held at the JW Marriott in Grand Rapids on Saturday, April 18, 2020, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Immediately following the annual meeting is a Grand Rapids Brewery Tour from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Women have come a long way in the law over the past 100 years. WLAM was started in 1919 – before women had the right to vote in this country – by five self- proclaimed “ardent Portias of Detroit.”
Today, the organization has grown extensively in size and purpose. The membership includes attorneys, judges and law students. WLAM has become a statewide organization with eight regional chapters, providing wide-ranging networking and professional development opportunities for women in the law.
WLAM’s mission is to advance the interest of women members of the legal profession, promote improvements in the administration of justice, and promote equality and social justice for all people.
WLAM will also bestow a number of awards at the event. The honorees include:
- Supreme Court Chief Justice Bridget Mary McCormack, who will receive the Mary S. Coleman Award;
- Attorney General Dana Nessel, who will receive the inaugural Geraldine Bledsoe Ford Award;
- Attorney Jennifer Grieco, who will receive the Jean L. King Leadership Award; and
- Attorneys Erin Flynn, Allison Love and Amanda Skeel, who will receive Regional Leadership Awards.
# # #
For more information:
Media: A limited number of press passes to the event will be available. Please contact Roquia Draper to arrange admission for members of the media.