Privacy and Member Record Policies
Information we collect
- Ways we may share information with others
- How we safeguard the confidentiality and security of information
- Steps you may take to limit our sharing of information with outside sources
A. Information collected by WLAM
To serve members and manage our association, it is important that we collect and maintain some public information about our members. While we have no reason to maintain as much information as the licensing entity of the State Bar of Michigan, we do collect information from the Dues Statement and other forms member's submit to us. We may obtain information such as name, address, e-mail address, fax, county of practice, practice categories, and interest in WLAM committees.
B. Explanation of Database Records
WLAM maintains a database of our members with some of the information mentioned under A. above. This information is kept to communicate with members and provide a referral base for outside individuals seeking the services of an attorney.
We also publish a Directory of Members and will list member's name, address, phone number, fax and e-mail for the ease of WLAM members in communicating with each other.
C. How information is shared with others
We limit the sharing of information with others. We do share public information about our members with the legal community and much of the information received for services and resources is provided directly to members from WLAM. An example is our FOCUS newsletter or information about the Annual Meeting. We also may send information to members from one of our special "partners" offering benefits as part of membership. We review that information in advance of granting approval and do not send materials to any member who has requested to "opt out" of our mailings.
We may share member's Address of Record with other organizations and companies under strictly defined conditions, to provide access to products and services. We require these companies and organizations to adhere to our privacy standards and to use this information only for the limited purpose for which it was shared. We do not allow them to disclose the information to others.
D. How we protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of the information
WLAM maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect the database of information collected about our members. Access to such information is restricted to individuals who need it to serve or provide products and services to WLAM members. Where third parties provide support services, we require them to conform to our privacy standards.
It is important that the information we maintain about members is accurate and complete. If you see inaccurate information, please call our Executive Office at 800.654.5959 or e-mail your correct information to WLAM@msu.edu. You can also use our web site to contact us with correct information.
E. Opting out of information
If members prefer that WLAM not share specific information with outside individuals or groups, or those groups who are partners, an Opt Out procedure can be enacted. If the Opt Out procedure is in effect, offers for products and services that could help members in business or personal pursuits will not be shared. Members may notify WLAM at any time in writing to enact the Opt Out procedure. The Member Opt Out Form is found on the WLAM website or you can request that one be sent to you. Requests will remain in effect until we notified to the contrary.
Member Record Policy
The Women Lawyers Association of Michigan (WLAM) membership list is made available to users in accordance with the following policy:
- All WLAM members have the opportunity to remove their names from the mailing list if so chosen.
- WLAM's grant of permission to use a WLAM list is conditioned upon the terms contained in this policy regarding limitation of advertising practices, types of use or users, and types of products or services.
- A WLAM list may not be used in connection with any communication that, in the opinion of WLAM, would tend to mislead, misinform, or deceive, or which is distasteful in content or presentation.
- WLAM lists are not used in connection with any external fund-raising effort or for lobbying for or against legislation, with the exception of permissible internal use by WLAM members.
- In advance of any use of any WLAM list, the potential user must furnish WLAM with a copy or sample of all literature, advertising material or other matter to be mailed. WLAM, in its discretion, may decline to approve the matter for mailing, in whole or in part. Notwithstanding any WLAM approval, the user will hold WLAM harmless against any damages or claim of damage, costs and reasonable attorney fees, arising out of any actual or alleged impropriety or illegality of mailed matter, or infringement or trademark, trade name, or copyright belonging to others.
- WLAM lists are available to external users only for communication by postal mail, which is germane to the professional interests of WLAM members.
- WLAM lists may be used only for non-electronic mailing purposes and may not be used for telemarketing.
- WLAM mailing lists will be updated regularly to assure accuracy.
- WLAM professional staff will evaluate each mailing request to determine whether that request will be approved.
- A user is authorized to use a WLAM postal mailing list for one time per request. Lists may not be copied, in whole or in part, or extract or retain any information from the list by any method. A user may not permit any WLAM list information to pass into the hands of any other person, association, organization or company.
- A user must comply with all terms of this policy, and any prohibited use by a user constitutes a material breach of the agreement with the user.
All WLAM users agree to the following:
- It is expressly understood and agreed that WLAM's rights, including but not limited to common law and statutory rights of literary property and copyright in the WLAM list and the data contained in the list, are not assigned or released as a result of this agreement, but are reserved and retained by WLAM, subject to the limited use permitted under this Agreement.
- WLAM charges for the use of its lists to not include sales, use excise or similar taxes. Consequently, in addition to the standard charge, a user will pay all present and future taxes, or, will provide WLAM with a tax exemption certificate acceptable to the taxing authorities.
- For any material breach of a membership list agreement, the user will be liable to WLAM for all damages, plus reasonable attorney fees, court costs and expenses, including expenses incurred in investigation, and loss of income.
- A membership list agreement shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with the law in the State of Michigan.
Categories of Member Record List Users
I. Legal Service Providers
II. Affiliated Partners
III. Non-Affiliated Mailings
The sale of mailing labels for commercial purposes is subject to the WLAM Privacy Statement, and all sales of mailing labels in this category must be approved by the Executive Director. Mailing labels and lists will be provided at commercial rates.